90% of Your Brain Power is Focused on Posture

June 16, 2010

Nobel Prize Recipient Dr. Roger Sperry demonstrated that 90% of the brain’s energy output is devoted to maintaining upright posture in relation to gravity. That leaves just 10% to everything else, such as thinking and imagination.

So do you think that a 2-3% reduction in available energy for thinking and creativity make much of a difference over all? Definitely! Those of you who use a computer for hours each day with a poor ergonomics setup know what I am talking about.

A very common way to reduce the available energy is in a forward head posture, which Rolfer Erik Dalton calls the “42 Pound Head”.

72dpi_alps_18461526_s

Sign up to receive occasional health tips and class notices from Jason Rumohr.

Your email is safe with us. We'll never share it with anyone else, ever.

Success! Please check your email and click the link to confirm your subscription.

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Dr. Marvin Braun December 4, 2018 at 7:28 am

Jason,
Would you happen to have the reference for Dr Sperry’s quote about energy usage and posture? I have searched for the actual paper and/or reference and can’t find it. Thanks.

Dr. Marvin Braun

Luke August 28, 2019 at 1:57 am

I would love to know too / I have searched high and low and not found anything – same to other quote about 90% of nutrition and energy comes from the spine

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: